Sheffield's 1st Sketchcrawl



On Sunday Sept 26th, the Sketchcrawl phenomenon reached Sheffield with a bang. Over 25 people, most of whom had not met before, got together in the city centre and braved the cold, to spend the day together drawing.

Richard Bell


We toured round as a group, visiting various venues for an hour at a time, drawing what we saw. It was great fun and there was a lovely, supportive atmosphere.


Some of the group were professional artists of various kinds, but most were not, and one or two brave souls had never done any sketchbook drawing before - a HUGE well done to you guys!

Richard Bell


I am hoping that everyone will find a way to send their drawings to me for inclusion in this gallery, but these are the sketches and photos I've gathered so far.

Janet Lilley

I think you'll agree that everyone did a great job:



10.00am - travelling to / meeting up in town:

Jo Mincher

Lynne Chapman

Cath Gittins

11.00am: 1st real stop - the Peace Gardens and Town Hall:



Sian Hughes

Richard Bell


Krishna Alageswaren

Martyn Rotherham

Colleen Penny

Micheal Lee


Tina Spencer
Richard Bell

Jo Mincher

Ellie Price

Martyn Rotherham

Sian Hughes


Barbara Morris

Barbara Rimmington



Lynne Chapman

Barbara Morris

Barbara Rimmington

12.00: 2nd stop - the Winter Gardens (indoors - hurrah!):


Tina Spencer

Jo Mincher

Barbara Morris

Richard Bell


Tim Rose


Tim Rose

Micheal Lee

Barbara Rimmington



Julie Whitham

Martyn Rotherham

Sian Hughes

Barbara Rimmington


Krishna Alageswaren

Barbara Morris


Barbara Morris

Lynne Chapman

Cath Gittins

Dot Rason

1.00: lunch in the Millennium Galleries cafe (well earned, though 1 or 2 keen folks were still sketching I noticed...):


Cath Gittins

2.00pm: 3rd stop - inside the various galleries (warmth...):

Sian Hughes

Lynne Chapman

Richard Bell

Sian Hughes

Lynne Chapman

Cath Gittins

3.00pm: 4th stop - The Hubs and around (oh no - back into the cold!):

Micheal Lee

Sian Hughes


Richard Bell


September art 020

Lynne Chapman

Janet Lilley

Sian Hughes

Cath Gittins

4.00pm: 5th stop - the pub!




If you are local, and are inspired to have a go yourself, email me and I'll send you details the next time we plan get our sketchbooks out.

If you want to hear more about how I draw, take a look at one of my short videos or take a peek inside some of my other sketchbooks, such as those from my travels, to countries like China, Namibia, Vietnam, Australia and various places all over Europe.

4 comments:

James Mayhew said...

What a brilliant and inspiring thing to do - congrats to all. Wish I lived nearer!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Come on guys: I know you were all drawing your socks off after lunch, so how come I haven't had a single sketch through from the afternoon yet?

Peter Gander said...

Well done Lynne, looks like a great day with excellent results!

Bryn said...

Howdee Lynne,
Looks like you you inspired a good turn out with a great result. Wish I could have been in two places at once - but I've not been idle out here in Colorado.